TODAY'S ARTIST: Crypsybear


TODAY'S ARTIST:  Crypsybear

The Art Collective's Today's Artist is German digital artist, Manuel AKA Crypsybear 

I found Crypsybear on Instagram and thought their work to be quite interesting, and I became more intrigued discovering that their proceeds go to children's aid projects.  That is something that I can back 100%.

I asked Manuel if it was cool to do an interview as I really like the fact that they give back, and to The Art Collective, that is incredibly important.
Let's get started!!


The Art of Fast Food featuring "In A Roman Osteria" | Original Artwork by Danish Artist, Carl Bloch 

TAC - How are you today?  

CRYPSYBEAR - I am feeling happy because it is only a few days to go until my holiday trip to Dubai!

TAC - That's sounds great, I have always wanted to go to Dubai!  How about introducing yourself to the readers of The Art Collective and tell us where you are from.

CRYPSYBEAR -  Hi!  My name is Manuel, I am living in Germany and in my 9 to 5 I am working as a division manager in an IT company.  

TAC - Does your environment shape the style of art you do?  How old were you when you started becoming an artist/creating art?

CRYPSYBEAR - 2021 is when I started becoming an artist and henceforth created artworks under my artist name Crypsybear.  

Crypsybear is a socially critical art in the digital ecosystem whose proceeds go to children aid projects.  All artworks are available on the NFT marketplace, OpenSea and 50% of the sales are donated to UNICEF to help children worldwide.

The project was created to raise money to help children in need.  Besides donations to UNICEF, it felt great to also directly support an orphanage in Uganda.

TAC - This is something that The Art Collective aspires to do, to donate to start and donate to charities, and this is something that really makes me respect you, for what you do.  It's really a commendable sense of purpose.

The Art of Fast Food featuring "The Drinkers" | Original Artwork by Dutch Post-Impressionist Artist, Vincent van Gogh

TAC - Who are your biggest artistic influences?

CRYPSYBEAR - Even if my art hasn't any similarity with the artworks of Banksy or Beeple, still these are the artists that inspired me to become an artist myself.  Their artworks are so different from what I thought would be art, yet they were brilliant.  Banksy inspired me to become an artist, while Beeple inspired me to make it digital.

TAC - Now that you mention it, I can see the influence in a way.  More the cheeky way like Beeple.  I get it.

Do you have a favorite medium?  If so, want to tell me about it?

CRYPSYBEAR - I do digital artwork.  I started with photography and a few artworks later I began adding collage elements.  

Lately, I have started to integrate elements that are done by AI.  I think that art is not about what tools or materials you use.  It is about what you create with it.

TAC - That's cool, I understand what you are saying and thank you for sharing your idea of what art is and the process to you.  I like it.

Do you have any other sources that you pull inspiration from?

CRYPSYBEAR - Well, actually some of my artwork are based on ideas from my 5 year old son.  Some of my artwork have very simple messages like, "read more books, eat less burgers."

I also enjoy discovering artists that I haven't seen before and from time to time, I integrate some of their design language and mix it up with my own style, just to see what happens.

TAC - Oh that's interesting!

Do you have a favorite time to create?

CRYPSYBEAR - In the evening.

TAC - If you could describe, in your own words, why art is important, what would you say?

CRYPSYBEAR - I believe that are is a way of communication;  a way to make people think, to see things from a different perspective.

Thus it can make people be aware of something, laugh or simply make them happy.  Art comes in many ways:  pictures, sculptures, performances, music...

It comes from deep inside and best of all, it has no boundaries!

TAC - I think that's a beautiful explanation.  When I speak to artists, or even people who are not artists really, I love to hear their idea of what art is to them and why they feel that art is important. And it's a sweet experience for me, because I get to learn so much and think of it in others that I may not have though of before, had I not asked or gotten into deep conversation with people about art.  I like that a lot, thank you for that response!

What motivates you to create?

CRYPSYBEAR - I enjoy the process.  And I try to get better with every artwork.  Everytime I create something, I try and learn something new.  This is a journey of exploring new ideas and techniques.

It is easy to destroy something (with violence and with criticism).  Instead, people should more often try to create something.

TAC - I can definitely agree with you on that!  I know for me, at least, when I am creating, I get lost into it and keeps me focused and grounded.  It helps keep my brain active and helps me not go to a dark place mentally.  I find that's the case with many artists.  I think the need to create can help so much with a lot of issues that people face in their personal lives.  Art is beautiful.

So many people outside of the art world think that being a successful artist is by making millions of dollars, when really, that's not always the case.  It very rarely is, actually.  In your own words, how would you describe success as an artist?

CRYPSYBEAR - Art should be something that creates a feeling in whoever sees it.  So as long as someone, "feels," something when viewing my art, that is a success!!  It is irrelevant if someone thinks, "wow, what a beautiful piece of art," or "OMG, I have never before seen such ugly bullshit!"  I am absolutely fine with both reactions as long as they, "feel," something about the artwork.  And that is the interesting thing about art:  take a moment and have a look at my artwork.  What do you feel about it?

What is special about my project is that it raises money for a good cause;  to help children.  

So being able to help as many children as possible and to prevent them from being homeless or from starving, etc., would be a good indicator for the success of this project.

The Art of Fast Food featuring "The Luncheon" | Original Artwork by French Impressionist Claude Monet

TAC - Best bloody response ever.  Not sure anyone can top that, honestly.

Does art help you in any other areas of your life?

CRYPSYBEAR -  It pushes my creativity and helps me to gain new skills that I can transfer to other areas of my life, like I surprised my son with designing personalized play money for the Christmas party with his friends.

TAC - Oh my god, that is so sweet!!!  Your kid must think you are the coolest dad, ever!

How do you develop your artistic skills?

CRYPSYBEAR -  Skills are created with practice, practice, practice!

Luckily we are living in a time where pupils can create apps with a few clicks.  Students can create feeds, blogs, channels in their spare time.  And my grandma can publish e-books about new cooking recipes.

What I would like to point out with this is, there has never been a better time to teach yourself a new skill as today.  With the internet at your fingertips, everyone has access to a huge amount of information and tutorials.

The question is, what do you do with your time?

Should you be watching Netflix or should you be creating your own YouTube channel and monetize it?  Should you play online poker or should you create your own app and sell it?
I am trying to create more than to consume.

TAC - That's a good way of looking at it; teach yourself something new because of what is readily available to everyone when it wasn't so abundant over twenty years ago.  I get what you're saying.

Have you worked as a professional artist before?

CRYPSYBEAR -  I studied computer science and worked as a software engineer, consultant, team manager, area manager, and division manager.  You could have asked me ten questions about art and I guarantee you that I was not able to answer any of those questions.  Maybe I am a late bloomer?  I discovered my love for wakeboarding at 30, my love for skateboarding at 35, and my love for art at 40!

TAC - Has your style changed since starting in 2021?  Or have you basically kept true since the beginning?

CRYPSYBEAR -  I am still into digital art but the techniques that I use change from time to time.  I am not trying to do the same thing again and again, but to discover new ways of art everyday.

TAC - What's your favorite and least favorite parts of professional art?

CRYPSYBEAR -  My favorite parts are being able to donate to a good cause after having sold a piece of art being number one, and my other favorite part is the process of creating the artwork itself and the freedom to be able to do it exactly the way I feel it has to be done, no clients or people telling me how to do it.

And my least favorite part is to promote it on channels like Twitter, I hate those poitnless GM tweets. 

TAC - I get it.  Cool!  

Do you have a network of other artists?  How do they support and mentor you?

CRYPSYBEAR - Over time, I got in contact with a lot of artists and the support is overwhelming. I helped out several artists who were entering the NFT scene. I did not expect anything in return but two of them even made me some beautiful gifts with sending physical art prints of their works to my home address. One of my friends has a gallery in Hanover (Germany) and I am still looking forward to an exhibition there.
Unfortunatelly there are a lot of scammers in the NFT scene but they can be identified quickly.  

I am happy to have a network of artists and good friends that are very supportive. 

TAC - How do you manage a work-life balance as an artist?  

CRYPSYBEAR - What is a work-life balance? Haha!

No, really ... I am not dead when I am at work. So it is life-life balance, right?

The important question is, is there a purpose in what I am doing or do I at least enjoy what I am doing? If one of these scenarios is applicable, then I don't differ between, "work, or "life."
 
But I think I see what you mean. Of course having quality time with my family is very important to me. 

TAC - Haha, yeah, I was asking how you balance your work life and your personal life.  

How can we, The Art Collective, help you with your career growth?

CRYPSYBEAR - You are already helping me, haha. Answering your questions helps me to reflect on myself and having the pleasure to be featured on your blog, brings the opportunity for more people to discover my artworks. So, Thank you, already.

Maybe it would also be helpful to put artists in touch with each other to create new networks of artists and to co-create something.

TAC - You're very welcome, totally my pleasure!  Actually, funny you mention that, I'm planning on doing a network on my blog for artists to discover and reach out to each other.  Lots of plans for The Art Collective on ways we can connect more and give back more.

Describe your dream project and do you have a dream collaboration with anyone?

CRYPSYBEAR - That is an interesting question ... I think I would enjoy bringing kids and professional artists together to create something new and that would help the young generation to get access to career opportunities as artists.

For myself the dream collaboration would be to do an art piece together with Beeple. Preferably in a live session (Beeple creates a new piece of art everyday, for more than 5.000 days). I already have a picture in mind on how the artwork would look like. If you like to get to know it ... get me in touch with Beeple. Haha!!

TAC - Haha, maybe I'll tag Beeple in the post, you never know!!!  Haha!  

Do you have a picture you can share with us of your first piece of art?  

CRYPSYBEAR - Yes! My first artwork is called, "Math Pizza," and can be found on OpenSea 


I was very lucky that someone bought my first NFT within a couple of days. I did not care about the price for which it was sold. The pure fact that someone bought it, was so motivating that I simply carried on doing more artworks and will not stop doing so.

TAC - It's always a great feeling when you sell something, no matter hhow long you've been doing it for.  It's always an honor that someone wants something that YOU created!

Do you have a favorite and/or least favorite work of art you created?  

CRYPSYBEAR - No, I hate all of them! Haha

No, of course I like my own artwork.

I still like the simplicity of my first artwork, "Math Pizza,'" and "Book Burger." And I love some of my newest works very much like, "Lighthouse Lick (Zebra)." 

"Book Burger" by Crypsybear


"Lighthouse Lick (Zebra)" by Crypsybear


TAC - Haha, I like your cheeky behavior!! 

Can you tell me your about techniques when you're experiencing a creative block?   


CRYPSYBEAR - Sorry, I need to have techniques for remembering all my ideas rather than to deal with creative block. Creating art is a good way for me to get my ideas moving. But don't get me wrong, having to much ideas can also be a curse because it puts you at risk to start 100 projects at the same time and not to finish a single one of it.

TAC - Creators block happens and you've got your process to try and avoid that, and that's good as well!

Do you have any favorite artists?   

CRYPSYBEAR - Regarding the traditional ones, I like Johannes Vermeer, Rembrandt van Rijn, and Leonardo Da Vinci.

When it comes to modern artists I admire, Banksy, Kim Kang Kung VII, Thomas Supernova, Jordi Gandul, saint.mg, 1dontknows, and many others. 

TAC - Nice, I'll have to check out the modern artists out now!

What kind of movies do you like and does that inspire you work?   

CRYPSYBEAR - When watching movies, I stick to Hollywood blockbusters like those from Marvel. I like Sci-Fi, Fantasy, and Adventure movies. Basically I watch movies or series if I like to, "switch my brain of," and to eat some popcorn. No movies inspired my art yet. 

TAC - That's cool, I can understand.  

Do you have any hobbies?   

CRYPSYBEAR - Wakeboarding, Longboarding, Skateboarding. Sports in general and doing all kinds of silly stuff. 

TAC - That's cool!  Gotta have another outlet to escape to, Hobbies are great!

If you were to make a parody project of a famous piece of artwork, what would it be?   

CRYPSYBEAR - Actually I made some parody artwork based on, "The Mona Lisa," (Leonardo Da Vinci), "Man with a Sheet of Music" (Rembrandt van Rijn), "The Girl with a Pearl Earring" (Johannes Vermeer), "In a Roman Osteria" (Carl Bloch), "The Luncheon" (Claude Monet), and "The Drinkers" (Vincent Willem van Gogh). I made new interpretations of those classics by integrating symbols of modern society like fast food. That was much fun and I still like them.  

TAC - Nice, I have seen some of them, I will have to the others out!!

Thank you so much for taking the time answer these questions, it really means a lot, and I know your time is very valuable.  It means a lot that you would give me this opportunity to get to know you and share your life and work on my blog, The Art Collective.  If you have anything else you'd like to share about you, your work, your donations, and socials, please share them with me!!
  

 
CRYPSYBEAR - Dear Vanessa, thanks a lot for the interview. Please keep it up and make people discover new artists. What you are doing is important. Thank you. 

TAC - Wow, thank you so much for that...like...wow!  Thank you!!!  That really makes my heart so happy.  I feel incredibly honored.  Thank you!!!


BEFORE WE SAY GOODBYE...CHECK OUT OF THESE GREAT DIGITAL PIECES OF ART BY CRYPSYBEAR







THIS INTERVIEW HAS COME TO AN END, BUT SHOWING THAT SUPPORT AND LOVE - THAT REAL ART COMMUNITY FEELING...

And be sure to follow Crypsybear's social media accounts, sign up for newsletters, and please...make a purchase, so that the proceeds can go to children's aid projects, while supporting the artist.

This is a great cause and that it is something The Art Collective stands behind 100%!!

CHECK OUT CRYPSYBEAR'S SOCIALS!!

You can find everything you need through Crypsybear's LinkTree.  

Again, Crypsybear creates socially critical art in the digital ecosystem whose proceeds go to children's aid projects!

THEY GIVE BACK 
&
SO SHOULD YOU!

I'd like to take this time again, to thank Manuel from Crypsybear for taking the time to do this interview for us to get to know them and everything that they do.  I really have a lot of respect for what you do and I am so looking forward to seeing what the future holds for you, your art, and your continued work as a philanthropist!  Incredibly commendable.

And thank you to the readers!  I hope that you enjoyed the new TODAY'S ARTIST and got to discover something pretty damn amazing.

Don't forget to check out The Art Collective's socials with more to come!!!